Penn Arts & Sciences Logo
Events, alumni networking, courses, and internships for Penn students on campus and in D.C.

Funding Sources for Public Policy Internships in Washington D.C.

Career Services

Career Services has a fund of money, thanks to generous donors, to allow students to pursue unfunded or under-funded summer opportunities.  The funds could cover travel expenses, living expenses, or both.  No award will exceed $3500.  For more information of the funding, click here.

Civic House 

Civic House administers a scholarship to support students who have public interest internships. Click here for details.

Penn Wharton Public Policy Initiative 

PPI offers funding, on a competitive basis, to students who accept an offer for a public policy summer internship at a government enity or non-profit policy research organization in D.C. that otherwise would be unpaid or come only with modest compensation.  All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in any of Penn's schools are eligible to apply for funding.  For more information on PPI funding, click here. 

Summer Savings Waiver 
Penn has established a program for students receiving financial aid that waives some or all of the summer work requirement if the student is working in a low-wage, career related job or internship. For details and application, click here.

Work Study
If you currently participate in the federal work study program, you may be able to be paid for your summer internship. In the work study program, you may work both on and off campus. If you work off campus, your employer will be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Off campus employers enter into an agreement with the University of Pennsylvania to pay part of your income. Depending upon federal funding, summer work-study is available to current undergraduate and graduate students. A student who was eligible for work-study during the academic year is NOT automatically eligible for summer work-study. To apply, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the coming year. An application for the Summer Federal Work-Study Program is usually available on our website after spring break. See the Student Employee Handbook for more information.